A few weeks back the XYL was complaining that that my tower, which is attached to the side of the house, was making a god awful racket when the wind got up. I ended up getting out of bed in the middle of the night to lower the mast and luff it over in order to stop the rattling which was being transmitted through the walls! The only problem was, it was dark and I did not see the spreaders bow as they hit the ground due to me luffing the tower over too much. I now have a cobweb with two broken spreaders and the support for the balun box also snapped.
Following the the damage, I decided to push a bit of kit into action that I have had down the side of the house for some time. I actually have a three element Tri-Band Yagi, which is too big to put up in it’s entirety, so I decided to mount the radiating element only in the form of a tri-band dipole.
After putting up the dipole, it was checked with an analyser and it all checked out great with little adjustment required. It was a little more noisy than the cobwebb, which is well known for its very flat signal pattern. It was giving me 2-3 S units over the wire antenna which was weird as I was not expecting such a big difference. It has given me a good reason to bring the wire antenna down and give it a good checking over, but that as they say is another day! I have had contacts into Russia, Saudi Arabia and even Iraq in it, so it must be working OK!
In the meantime the tower was put back up with a bicycle inner tube glued around the part that slots into the bracket on the wall. This has killed the rattling and hopefully I will not have to get up in the middle of the night again!