Small Job develops into a Marathon.

It has been a bit rough the last few weeks with periods of high winds, which necessitated the luffing of the Tenna Mast in the back garden. In fact I dropped it over in a bit of a rush one dark night and in the process forgot to slacken off the feeder at the same time as taking the tension off the halyard for the wire antenna, the centre of which is hung from the tower. In the process of dropping the mast, I ripped the feeder out of the plug in the balun!

The Tennamast with The MA5b, the Alpha Delta DX/CC wire antenna, 70cm 4 dipole array and Weather Station!

Today I had an hour to spare and thought I would put a new plug on the feeder and seal it up with some self amalgamating tape. Following the work on the feeder, I performed a quick test for impedance and SWR on a dummy load before putting the mast up again. At the same time, I replaced batteries in the weather station which has been down for a couple of months, but as I went to put everything back, I noticed that the 300 Ohm feeder for the 1/2 size G5RV had become disconnected from the RG58/twin feed adaptor (I use this for a listening antenna for a noise canceller). Upon closer inspection corrosion was responsible for the parting of the ways of the twin feeder from the crimped eye connections in the adaptor. Another repair later, plus re-positioning the beam on the stub mast (it had twisted out of alignment in the wind), and the antenna farm was back in business.

What was going to be a quick plug replacement ended up being nearly 2 hours worth of faffing around, but at least everything is up and running again now.